Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Very Special First BIG EAST Basketball Game

          My first BIG EAST basketball experience was the men's game between the St. John's and Providence in a sold out Carnesecca Arena on December 27. Fans packed the place that night for the 99th meeting between the two teams, and were given red St. John's Basketball Coca-Cola rally towels to help cheer New York's team on. 
          What an awesome game it was for St. John's! Although almost everyone was predicting we'd lose, our team, to quote my friend Taylor, "pummeled Providence," winning the game with a score of 91-67! It was a particularly great game for Queens native Moe Harkless, who got a double-double and scored a total of 32 points for the game, a new record for a BIG EAST freshman debut. 
          The most exciting part of the night for me was having my mom come to watch, making this her first game and first time seeing me play in the Pep Band. This would not have been possible without what we consider to be a special Christmas miracle: a Heaven sent man gave her his ticket as she was given the bad news at the box office that tickets had long been sold out for the game. When she finally made it inside, I was so happy to be able to introduce her to my Pep Band family and have her sit with the band. It took no time for the excitement of STJ basketball to catch on with her, and I was so proud that we now had one more STJ basketball fan! With this wonderfully special time my mom and I got to share together, I couldn't help but feel that my dad was smiling down on us on what would have been his 77th birthday.

Carnesecca Arena filled to fan capacity 
St. John's and Providence team members 
Me proudly displaying my rally towel with R.Lo from Pep Band
My mom and me together after the game

No comments:

Post a Comment