Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beyond the Blackboard Lecture

          On the evening of Tuesday, September 20, St. John's University was privileged to have award-winning educator and author, Stacey Bess, come to the Marillac Auditorium and give a lecture on her book Nobody Don’t Love Nobody, which was adapted into the recent Hallmark Channel movie, Beyond the Blackboard. Although I had not read her book or seen the movie, I was interested in the story, and felt it would be an enriching event to attend. The audience intently listened to Stacey's every word as we learned of the profound impact she was able to make as a young teacher in a Salt Lake City shelter school. 
          Of all the wise words Stacey shared with us that night, one specific statement left a big impression on me: "The foundation of being successful with people is to love them." I believe this is true for everyone at every age, and I think it is an important message to spread. After the lecture, I was honored to get to meet Stacey as she signed copies of books she had brought for the attendees, and I enjoyed receiving her thoughts on the rewards of entering the speech pathology field, which I am strongly considering because of the opportunities it presents to have a positive impact on the lives of children. 

Me and a group of students with Stacey Bess (in purple, 1 in from the top left)

No comments:

Post a Comment