Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My First-Ever STJ Men's Basketball Game!

          Tuesday, October 25th, was a very exciting night for me - it was the night of my first-ever St. John's basketball game! I entered the arena, made my way to the Pep Band section, and from that moment on, felt like a wide-eyed kid as I watched every little matter that makes up a St. John's Men's Basketball game. I was  fascinated by the team first coming out to warm up, then huddling, then being officially welcomed back out by the cheerleaders, band, and fans. 
          I paid close attention as every player was introduced, and then started videotaping with my phone as highly talked about new forward God'sgift Achiuwa got ready for the first jump ball. A couple minutes later, after stopping and starting recording, I realized I had just gotten God'sgift's first basket ever for St. John's on tape!!! (You can hear how excited I was for this shot by my screech at the end of the video, which is posted below.) I had been looking forward to seeing him play ever since watching all the hype on the news this past April, when he decided to play for STJ and the headlines read, "God'sgift is coming to St. John's." - so this was a very exciting moment!
          The STJ Men ended up winning the game that night, beating C.W. Post 110-80. Although it was only an exhibition game (which I learned meant it doesn't get factored into rankings), it was a great game, and got me excited for the things to come! It was a wonderful feeling to play the "Theme from New York, New York," as we all shared the joy of the Johnnies' win!

This video shows a team huddle and the first jump ball of the season. At 52 seconds God'sgift has the ball, and at 54 seconds, he makes his first basket (after which I can be heard screeching)!!!
The team huddle
Stephanie and me (the Pep band flute girls) with the STJ team in the background
STJ and C.W. Post at play 
Me and my flute after our first STJ Basketball game!

No comments:

Post a Comment