Tuesday, November 22, 2011

DNY Comparative Museum Project

         The last weekend of October, I got to learn much about New York City lifestyle history by going to three Manhattan museums for a project I had to do for my Discover New York (DNY) class. I went to the Tenement, Merchant, and Frick museums, where I saw firsthand the living conditions of the poor, middle class, and wealthy inhabitants of New York in the 19th and early 20th centuries. 
          Touring these very different dwellings, I noticed major differences in terms of space, climate, furnishings, and responsibilities those living there would have had. The most notable disparity I saw was in how the different classes obtained water; in the tenements, people had to struggle to carry buckets of water up to their apartments, while those in the merchant house had a pump bring it in to the kitchen, and the Fricks could sit and relax by an extravagant fountain with running water in indoor Garden Court. 

The outside of the Tenement Museum, located on  Orchard Street
The front of the Merchant Museum, located on East 4th Street 
Me outside the gate of the Frick Museum, located on East 70th Street



No comments:

Post a Comment