Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk

        On Sunday October 16, various STJ clubs and organizations participated in Queens's annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. This year, the event was held in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. As the STJ Pep Band, Cheerleaders, and Dance Team were invited to perform at the opening ceremonies, my flute and I were there bright and early that morning. It was inspiring to see and play our music for so many survivors and supporters, who were also greeted with welcoming remarks from Dr. Sapna Parikh, medical correspondent for New York City's WABC-TV. As a viewer who has followed her medical reports for years on Fox 5 and now on ABC 7, I was honored to be able to meet Dr. Sapna afterwards; she was extremely sweet and friendly, and I enjoyed talking with her about my college experience so far in Pep band and my journalism major. 

The park was decked out with plenty of pink balloons for the occasion.
The entire group of STJ Pep Band and Cheerleading Team members - thanks to STJ Pep Band Director Kevin Vail for taking and sending this photo!
Our little flute/bells section of the band (left to right: me, bell player Jessica, and flute player Stephanie)
Dr. Sapna Parikh addressing the crowd
Me with Dr. Sapna 

No comments:

Post a Comment