Saturday, March 3, 2012

RedZone on the Road: Trip to Georgetown

          I took my first "RedZone on the Road" trip on Sunday, February 12, to the Men's Basketball game against Georgetown, held at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C.. Excited to attend my first basketball game for the sole purpose of being a spectator and fan (instead of playing with the band as I have done for all our home games), I spent the night before making a sign for my friend and favorite player, God'sgift Achiuwa, to hold up in the stands and cheer him on. 
          We arrived just in time for the game to start. I was in for quite a surprise when I discovered our seats were in the highest section possible -- a big change from my usual courtside seat with the Pep Band. No matter how high up, I enjoyed rooting for the Johnnies with the RedZone and making my cheers heard throughout the game. I was proud of the great game they played against the 12th ranked Georgetown Hoyas. Even though they weren't able to pull off a win in the end (the final score was 71-61), our team played strong and kept the score very close until the final few minutes.
          After the game, we were given the remainder of the afternoon to eat and tour D.C.. It was a lot of fun walking around the streets of D.C. with a group of STJ kids, and we managed to see quite a bit on our way to and from the White House. We stopped in the Spy Museum's gift shop, and also got the chance to take pictures with a wax figure of President Abraham Lincoln (on what would have been his 203rd birthday) in front of D.C.'s Madame Tussauds Wax Museum! We enjoyed walking by the Washington Monument and admiring its presence in the pretty blue sky, and we also enjoyed seeing many other noteworthy buildings. When we finally made it to the White House, we had a lot of fun taking pictures, representing St. John's with our game attire. I even got a picture with my God'sgift sign outside the White House gate! 
          On the bus ride home, I enjoyed thinking about all the fun we had all day. I'm so happy to have so many great memories from my first RedZone trip! 


Our view of the arena
Me with friends Christine (left) and Lizzy (right) with my sign
Me and Lizzy sitting with Lincoln on his birthday!

STJ Storms the White House!
Me letting the nation know about 'God'sgift to Basketball'
outside the White House!


No comments:

Post a Comment